i just got the oculus rift

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Edited Nov 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM
i am trying to make it work with your client. the eyes are too close togather. i can't change it with your settings in display output. i am on windows 8. my secondlife name is Androo Fallen. please contact me somehow email secondlife or here
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Successfully sorted out in Second Life.
Nov 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM
David can you contact me in sl? my name is outca5tsoul, i would really like to get stereoscopic 3d working and im having a lot of problems with it. please help me out to get it working, all it does when i turn it on is shift the view and doesnt give me 3d at all.
Dec 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM
ctrlaltdavid wrote:
Successfully sorted out in Second Life.
I'm having the same problem with the Oculus on a private Opensim grid. Can you explain how you sorted it out with SecondLife? Was it settings or did you have to change your code?

Do you have any suggestions?
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Hi almaniac ... Follow through the steps under "Oculus Rift Usage" in the release notes, and you should get up and running OK: http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer/releases/1-2-2-41224-alpha-5
Dec 21, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I tried going through the list again (I had already done it) and I did find I'd missed a couple things, or maybe they were different in an older version of the list.

Anyway, it hasn't solved my issue. Perhaps I should explain what I see when I look into the rift:

-With both eyes open I see the desktop and the viewer.

-With my left I closed I see only the desktop.

-With my right eye closed I see the viewer, and I can see the two eye renders at the same time. The divide for them is about 2/3 of the way across the field of view.

Also, I'm not getting any head tracking at all. I'm seeing the same view ragardless of head position and movement. The head tracking is working fine in other applications.

Any ideas?
Dec 21, 2014 at 2:53 AM
I should have mentioned I was using the latest release version. I just moved to the Alpha and it's mostly working!

While the health warning is up everything is great, but as soon as it goes away (either dismissed or by waiting) everything goes black and I can only see the avatar's head and prims that are partially transparent (windows).

Still working on it...
Dec 21, 2014 at 3:11 AM
Ok! I have it working now. I had to reduce the graphics quality&speed from ultra to high, and then turn the advanced lighting model on again (changing the quality swtiched it off somehow).

There's a lot of judder and the head movement is a bit strange, but I think those things can be adjusted in the settings and I'll see what I can come up with...

Thanks!
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Hi, I’m glad you’re making progress!

For smoothest operation you need to be running at a consistent 75Hz. Next best is a consistent 60Hz. Judder is often caused by lower FPS, or inconsistent FPS (e.g., temporarily lowering when you rotate your head).

You can see the FPS you’re getting by turning on Preferences > Advanced > Show Advanced Menu then using Advanced > Performance Tools > Statistics Bar. Viewing this will help you tune your settings to achieve a high FPS, e.g., reducing your draw distance and / or turning shadows off.

You can also experiment with turning off some or all of the Preferences > Graphics > Display Output > Dynamic Prediction … through … Pixel Overdrive. Disabling some or all of these can help with achieving a smooth experience at lower FPS.

Hope this helps!

David