Usage of Kinect to control Avatar

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Hi . i am new to kinect and i connected my kinect for windows with secondlife to control Avatar. I use kinect studio to initialise connect to the secondlife . I use CtrlAltStudio Viewer for the secondlife as my viewer. But the avatar is not moving as intended . Please help me
I dont know what should i do with kinect to control my avatar.
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Hi. ... Make sure you don't have any Kinect programs running then enable Kinect operation in the viewer: Preferences > Move & View > Movement. You should then be able to walk and fly your avatar with the gestures shown in: http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer#Kinect
Sep 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Hi.. The kinect is not sensing the movement . The gestures are not working properly with the secondlife. It is showing inconsistency with the movement. Sometimes it got fast . If i want to move forward and i try to walk then the avatar itself move backward. Also not possible to walk after i fly .
How can i get the movement controlled ...i need to move the avatar as i desire..Now it is not possible to move the avatar in the desired way ..
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Hi,
Firstly, make sure that the Kinect can see you properly; Kinect Studio may be helpful here.
You may like to try decreasing the sensitivity of the Kinect operation. You can do this in the viewer's Preferences > Move & View > Movement > Sensitivity (under the
Enable Kinect for Windows checkbox).
And you may want to reduce your maximum walk / fly speed in Preferences > Move & View > Movement > Walk speed.
To walk after flying, fly downwards until you land.
I hope this helps.
Sep 22, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Hi,

I have tried the above mentioned settings
i am using oculus rift with the kinect and the movement is not stable . I keep the sensitivity of kinect low then the speed decreased, but then if i want a stop inbetween and i show the stop sign , then it does not stop immediately.
I tried the kinect by keeping it in different settings, for movement sensitivity and speed .
The avatar is rotating its own without any trigger from my side . Also avatar is moving backwards and in different directions even if there is no movement from user side.
Also i can say that, right and left arrow of the secondlife is working quiet well.. but the arrow keys for forward and backward is not working properly .
Also how can i fly downwards. I tried it like, bend my body backwards a little , but it seems working but not on all my trials.
I can find that the gestures, you explained in the site works, but not perfectly on all trials

Since many people want to try the oculus and kinect together and it seems interesting to them ...i experimented it in one science fair with the common people those who are trying it for the first time ...but the kinect was not working properly as intended ..
People are really excited wIth oculusrift , but they need to move with kinect , which was not working properly as intended . They said that they need the gesture movements specifically so that they can reduce movement inconsistency and unstability.

Can you explain me the movement much in detail literally so i can try it .
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Hi,
The Kinect usage is summarized in a section on the following page: http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer
Basically, any deviation from the "home" spot will move your avatar, and any turn of your shoulders will turn it. To stop movement return to the home spot and if rotating turn in the opposite direction until it stops.
The Kinect works as if your are a "joystick"; it doesn't track you as you walk about a room (largely because it only works well if your body is facing towards the Kinect).
You may also want to experiment with the "seated operation" versus "standing operation" options under Preferences > Graphics > Display Output > Oculus Rift.
Using the Kinect support in the viewer takes a bit of practice and unfortunately may not be ideal for casual, first-time users.