DK2 headset no signal SecondLife

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:11 AM
Edited Sep 16, 2014 at 4:21 AM
Ive got everything working. The monitor shows the correct double image and the movement control works to move the images when I move the headset. The movement controller has a blue light but the headset stays yellow ( and dark inside).

It works fine in the demo and I have set the settings as suggested here.

it works fine outside SecondLife. Could the problem be something I have done/not done in the preferences (or somewhere) inside the viewer settings. Or perhaps some pathway that is not used by the OR ConfigUtil in its demo mode.

In other words, the video signal goes correctly to the monitor and is responsive to movement controls, it just doesnt show up as a signal to the headset. But only in SecondLife.

Help! Im so close.........
Coordinator
Sep 16, 2014 at 4:12 PM
You are so close! ... All you need to do is use the Windows key + right arrow twice to move the viewer window onto the Rift’s display, then Ctrl-Alt-3 will maximize the window and switch it into Rift display. Not very friendly but a work-around for the present while the Oculus drivers don't support direct mode with OpenGL.

See also this page for other usage tips: http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer/releases/1-2-2-41206-alpha-3
Sep 16, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Edited Sep 16, 2014 at 10:50 PM
I will reset according to usage tips.
Sep 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Hello, the only thing i can think to do is join this discussion, excuse me if its yet another person with a problem! Very enthusiastic to get into SL with the DK2, and very much appreciate CntrlAltstudio for all your dedicated work. ive been reading over all your updates , and threads here, trying to work it out myself..with no luck..but almost!

I reached the stage where i dragged the cntrl-alt-studio window into the rift HMD and managed to see, just, the 3d button. when i activate it i get a black screen. The same black screen with the above instructions. (cntrl-alt-3)

i dont see a double image

Everything has a blue light on the rift and sensor, and i am of course, in extended mode.

Ive tried the LL project viewer but i get a 'cant detect HMD' error message....so maybe there's a clue there.

Im finding the demos ..interesting, but long to see my own work in Second life.
So far the occulus has been more of a headache than an awesome experience!
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Hi Daniel ... The black screen probably means that you don't have Advanced Lighting Model enabled. See Preferences > Graphics > General > Advanced Lighting Model and make sure it's ticked.

Hopefully this should make things display OK. If it doesn't, also make sure you have OpenGL vertex buffer objects enabled: Preferences > Graphics > Hardware Settings > Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects. If you still get a black screen, reset all your viewer settings – Preferences > Advanced > Reset All Settings and restart the viewer. Then enable Advanced Light Model and OepnGL vertex buffer objects if it they aren't already enabled.
Sep 17, 2014 at 10:40 PM
YES! that worked..thanks so much. I apologize for missing this in set up and having to ask.
Wonderful. Ill be testing and trying to improve the image a little.
Ive quite a 'rainbow' effect around objects, maybe there's something i can do to lesson that but this is a HUGE relief.ive now something to DO with the
rift and can experiment.
Just mentioning i was a little disappointed the pixels are so noticeable in the rift, i wasnt expecting that. Did anyone else think that? But it is a development kit, when thats sorted ALL on the commercial version itll be good.

Thanks enormously!
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2014 at 2:58 AM

I’m glad you’re up and running, Daniel : )

The rainbow effect: yes, the Oculus SDK 0.4.1’s chromatic aberration correction is a bit over the top! It’s improved in SDK 0.4.2 I believe, and I hope to update the viewer to use the 0.4.2 SDK soon as I can find some time.

The pixels in the DK2 are an improvement over the DK1, but not a huge improvement. After a while of use you do notice them less. The consumer version should be a significant improvement (though I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re still noticeable).

Cheers,

David

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:46 PM
I can not switch to Rift. I click Ctrl-Alt-3 ... how to do? I click Ctrl-Alt-3 at the same time? Has 2 Ctrl (right and left). Which one is it? Sorry for the ignorance. I am using Virtual Desktop...

Thanks
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2014 at 12:05 AM
@jwjaii Hold down Ctrl and Alt then, while still holding them down, press 3. You can use either left or right Ctrl and Alt keys.
Sep 22, 2014 at 7:47 AM
Now the picture is a little wider but not get 2 windows. Like staying with two windows in 3D mode? I'm using "Virtual Desktop" ...

Thanks
Sep 22, 2014 at 9:17 AM
i don't use virtual desktop at all, although ive tried it. im not sure its needed. it might be confusing the problem? If you have only one monitor (i have two) maybe set resolution to two monitors on your computer..one being the Rift . if the rift shows a blue light.. drag the Sl cntrl-alt-studio viewer into the rift,log in... then press shift/cntrl/3 or find and press the 3D button (lower right corner).
David might have a better plan of action.
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM
I'm not familiar with Virtual Desktop at all but it likely is confusing the issue. The viewer is written assuming it is running directly on a Windows PC with the Oculus Rift attached to that same PC.

What you should do if you haven't done so already is get the Oculus Rift SDK up and running with your Rift such that you can use the SDK's Configuration Utility and successfully show the demo scene included in the configuration utility. Then you should be able to set up a and use the viewer. See the instructions in the release notes: http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer/releases/1-2-2-41206-alpha-3

Hopefully this will get you up and running.