Problem with getting the Oculus DK2 to work

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM
Since last week I'm busy with an internship to integrate the Oculus Rift in OpenSim for a project and I'm using ctrlaltviewer for now.
A few days ago I got it running with my rift on another computer running Windows 8.1, but since that pc is of a colleague of mine I had to switch to another device.
Since then I have not been able to get the viewer to run properly.

I have a similar problem as a user in an older thread.
Logging into second life goes smoothly and when I swith to rift view the health warning pops up and everything seems to work properly. But as soon as the health warning is dismissed, everything turns black except for a part of the avatar and some lighted billboards in the world.

As for settings... currently I have settings set to high with advanced light model, basic shaders and OpenGL vertex buffer objects enabled.
Lowering the settings or switching to ultra does not solve the problem. Also I have tried windowed and fullscreen mode without success.

Have I missed something?

I am running an Alienware laptop:
Model M17xR4
i7-3720QM
12GB Ram
HD Radeon 7970m (This is the external GPU, the internal GPU is turned off)
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Thank you for your advice.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2015 at 11:00 PM
Hi Arjan,

Which version of the viewer are you using? Presumably alpha 5, i.e., 1.2.2.41224 ?

Could you please confirm the exact model of your graphics card? (You should also check that your graphics drivers are up to date.)

If possible, have a log in your program log file and find the line that has "LLFeatureManager::parseGPUTable: GPU" . This line will say what the make and model your graphics card is reporting itself as and what the viewer is detecting it as. Please let me know what the viewer is detecting it as. ... You'll find your program log as the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\CtrlAltStudio Viewer\logs\CASviewer.log

Also, double check viewer setup and usage with the Rift, per: http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer/releases/1-2-2-41224-alpha-5

David
Feb 13, 2015 at 7:35 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2015 at 9:00 AM
Dear David,

Thank you very much for your response.
I am using the latest version of the viewer from the website: 1.2.2.41224

As for the graphics card, this is what I could find in the logs:
LLFeatureManager::parseGPUTable: GPU 'ATI Technologies Inc. AMD Radeon HD 7970M' recognized as 'ATI Radeon HD 7900D/G/M'
The graphic drivers are up to date.

Also double checked the setup and usage and I don't think I missed something there. For good measure, I also tried running the viewer when the Oculus Rift is set to 60fps, but also then the same problem occurs.

I don't know if it will help you, but this is the log of the last failed run with the rift: Dropbox Link

Arjan
Feb 13, 2015 at 10:12 AM
Dear David,

I don't know exactly why... But my avatar also did not show up in the viewer (Both second life viewer and ctrlaltstudio viewer) so I looked into that today and messed with it a bit.
I then removed an attribute of the avatar (I thought it was "Invisible avatar") and my avatar then became visible, weird thing is... rift view also works properly since then!:D

Arjan
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2015 at 4:45 PM
It's great that you're up and running again, Arjan!

I can't think of the setting you mention. If you can find it again, could you please let me know? Thanks very much.
Mar 13, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Dear David,

A few days after I fixed this problem it returned again and I was not able to fix it this time.
After a lot of extensive searching it seems a lot of AMD Radeon graphic cards have issues with the Second Life and OpenSim shaders it seems.
I suspect it is a AMD driver related issue with the OpenGl shader language.

As I could not get it to work with that machine, I switched to a new machine with a Nvidia GTX980 which does work properly.
Thank you for the support before and I'll let you know if I ever find a solution to this bug.

Kind Regards,

Arjan
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Hi Arjan,

Yes, Second Life and OpenSim viewers work much better with NVIDIA GPUs. It’s good that you were able to make the switch.

Cheers,

David